- My Personal Infrastructure Below is a list of the infrastructure (both digital and physical) I use on a regular basis. As a result of my current infrastructure setup, a critical failure on part of Cloudflare, Backblaze, Azure or Google would cripple my online presence. This is something I am actively working to defend against by slowly moving to infrastructure that I have direct control over. Cloud services are incredibly convenient which has slowed that transition.06-Feb-2021 | 764 Words | 4 min read
- I have decided that I don’t want to focus on search engine optimization anymore. Quite frankly it’s too much work for what I gain from it and I seem to be doing just fine without it. Why the shift? Well I started looking at where and how I find entertaining websites. The only one I found through a search engine in recent memory was https://rogerhub.com and even then it was through his final grade calculator.13-Dec-2020 | 304 Words | 2 min read
- 28-Jul-2020 | 1533 Words | 8 min read
Running a server can be difficult and it is very easy to leak important credentials. Much easier than you want it to be. I ended up leaking a dangerous file from one of the WordPress websites I manage, named ‘wp-config.php.save’ to the public internet. It contained passwords to the site database, cookie keys and cookie salts. This created a couple issues, namely the fact that anyone who could access the database server could have had full write permissions. There are a couple reasons why I don’t think this happened, and most of them are due to great default protection by Azure, so I got extremely lucky. I am going to dive in to the events leading up to the incident and then what I did to resolve it.
- 10-Mar-2020 | 971 Words | 5 min read
The moral of this story is don’t trust client side analytics.
I enable uBlock Origin (a tracking/ad blocker) on ethohampton.com. Seriously, on my own website. I don’t even have ads that I might need to block. So why, you might ask don’t I have my own domain on my unblocked list?
- Ethan Hampton’s Résumé EDUCATION Honors Bachelor of Computer Science, Oregon State University, Expected June 2023 HS Diploma, McMinnville High School, McMinnville, OR, June 2019 with Engineering & Aerospace Sciences Academy and Computer Science Pathways Honor Roll, 3.98 / 4.00 GPA, Top 5% of Senior class COMPUTER SCIENCE EXPERIENCE Founder, 2015 – Present Ethan M. Hampton Technology Consulting Software Engineering Intern, March 2021 – September 2021 Collins Aerospace Student Systems Engineer, June 2020 – March 202106-Sep-2019 | 296 Words | 2 min read