- I recently started to watch “The West Wing” and have starting thinking a lot more about the impact that leaders in society can play on the world. Inconsequential decisions at the time can lead to either great success or great failure further along down the road. The following is a “position paper” of sorts that describes a struggle I think many people have. One of the hardest things programmers have to do is keep all the information they gather looking at code in their head at one time.27-Aug-2019 | 994 Words | 5 min read
- 09-Jul-2019 | 477 Words | 3 min read
It bothered me for a while that I had to type
sudo apt updateand then
sudo apt upgradein order to update my Ubuntu Linux system. It just felt like there had to be an easier way to figure out what to update and just upgrade it with one command in an easy to use way.
Eventually I realized I could just write my own bash script and execute it from the command line. This post will go into a bit of detail about how I did that.
- As the snow slowly melts away and the birds come out again, my mind drifts back to a weekend at the beach a couple weeks ago. Celebrating my grandma’s 80th birthday I was sure I was going to have a good time. When my family arrived I was greeted by a tall two story house that extended off into the distance. The furnishings inside all melded together into a nice calm blue that carried hints of the ocean throughout the house.27-Feb-2019 | 555 Words | 3 min read
- This essay was written for my language arts class, but I felt it also deserved to be on the Internet here as I struggled to find sources while writing this. I may come back and fix this so it actually is a good essay and covers all the things I wanted the original essay to cover but simply ran out of time. With that being said, Wikipedia is a very hard topic to simply cover all on one essay.07-Apr-2018 | 1364 Words | 7 min read
- I am currently at a robotics tournament out of state and as we were driving down here I started looking at a couple things around me. The truth is that there is a lot of stuff that you don’t even think about all around you. Take the hotel room I am writing this in, there is a mass produced painting in front of me, a lamp, a pad of paper, a TV, a fire alarm, a desk and a coffee machine.17-Mar-2018 | 998 Words | 5 min read
- With the whole deal about the (now ex)Google employee who wrote about diversity in the tech industry, I read several very interesting articles. They covered very different view points and did not agree with each other but one thing in particular stood out. The CNN opinion article (http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/07/opinions/google-employee-manifesto-against-diversity-opinion-randazza/index.html) written by Marc Randazza said this, “I just also happen to think that the company that looks for diversity of intellectual thought is, in the end, going to be the company that has greater success.09-Aug-2017 | 1732 Words | 9 min read
- These are a list of all the rules I (Ethan Hampton) think it is important to live by. You don’t have to follow them all the time but for 99% of situations they definitely apply. Please note that the first rule is definitely the most important. Enjoy! I think that rules or guidelines are critical to the success of anything because it creates policies. The world is full of broken guidelines and policies and rules, that’s why I am planing to update this page when I come up with new ones.19-Apr-2017 | 435 Words | 3 min read